Move Out Procedures
All residents requesting to stay past the end of semester must contact their hall director.
All residents are required to sign up for check out with their respective Resident Assistant on a signup sheet, which will be posted by their RA. You will need to sign up 24 hours in advance of your requested checkout and checkout 24 hours after your last final or by 12:00 p.m. on Friday of finals week, whichever comes first.
If you are a graduating senior, you will need to speak with your hall director and provide documentation of your graduation status.
The McMindes Café closes at 5:00 p.m on the final day of classes, and the all dining options in the Memorial Union are open until 2:00 p.m. However, all meal plans will become inactive as 2:00 p.m. on that day.
Please remember to watch your property when you are packing your belongings. Do not load your car with valuables and leave it unattended overnight. Packed cars are targets for thieves during pre-finals and finals weeks. Please keep your doors locked.
If room damage was not noted on your Room Condition Report at the time of your check-in, it is considered your liability, and you will be charged for it, unless you can prove otherwise. Any charges for damage or cleaning in a common area will be divided equally among all students in the floor, hall, or building. Additional cleaning and damage charges may be assessed after checkout following final room checks by the Hall Director and other staff members. Any damage charges may be split between roommates if the hall director deems necessary. If you would like to appeal any charges, you will need to email email@example.com.
Please review the checkout procedures carefully and make an effort to talk to your roommate to work out a fair and equitable cleaning arrangement.
How to Have a Successful Checkout
Below is a checklist of areas expected to be cleaned before you and your roommate check out before 5:00 p.m. on the final day of classes. Please negotiate between yourselves who is to be responsible for cleaning a specific area. It is important to note that these procedures are part of your contract and that failure to follow through with these procedures may result in an improper checkout fine as well as charges for cleaning, missing keys and furniture, and damaged property. Also, it is expected that once your roommate has cleaned agreed area(s) and has been successfully checked out by a staff member, it is your responsibility to keep the area clean. If you mess up a “signed off” area and fail to clean it, you will incur the cleaning charge even though it was your roommate’s area of responsibility. Everyone is responsible for removing all debris and personal belongings from the room.
Spring Move Out Checklist
- What to Turn In:
- Room Key
- Pass Key (if applicable)
- Proof of Address Change on Tiger Tracks
- Mail Key (if applicable)
- What has to be cleaned:
- Upper Cabinets
- Window Sill
- Pull-Out Board
- Bulletin Boards
- Emptied and Clean Trash Can
- Sweep/Mop Floor
- Under Bed
- Bring all trash and recycling to designated locations located by each of the residential halls. Do not leave trash in hallways or other public areas.
- Help the environment while you move out:
- Donate all unwanted reusable items such as clothing, appliances, unopened non-perishable food, bedding, and electronics at your hall lobby.
- Recycle all paper, cardboard boxes, glass and plastic bottles, and metals cans at your residence hall's nearest recycling site.
- Remove all personal belongings. (Have you checked the bathroom, laundry areas, drawers, and other storage areas?)
- Remove all decorations from walls, windows, mirrors, and doors.
- Be sure all residence hall furnishings (including beds, recycling bins, bookcases, desk chairs, etc.) are accounted for and left in the room. All furnishings must be reassembled if they were disassembled. If your bed is lofted (or if you unlofted it), all pieces must be left in the room.
- Restore your room to the condition it was when you checked in, including moving furniture if needed.