Edmund Shearer Advisor of the Year Criteria
The Edmund Shearer Advisor of the Year Award will be presented to individuals who have demonstrated qualities associated with outstanding academic advising of on- and off-campus students. One advisor will be recognized from each of the four colleges (Arts and Sciences, Business and Leadership, Education and Technology, and Health and Life Sciences). The University Faculty Advisor of the Year recipient will be one of the four college winners.
Award: Winners will be honored at the Fall Convocation in August. The recipients will receive a monetary stipend.
Eligibility: Any individual serving as a faculty academic advisor and employed by Fort Hays State University may be nominated. Advisors whose primary role at the institution is direct delivery of advising services to students are not eligible (e.g. director of academic advising, coordinator of undecided advising).
Criteria: The Selection Committee will evaluate nominations on the evidence of effective advising qualities and practices that distinguish the nominee as an outstanding academic advisor. Such evidence may include, but is not limited to:
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Availability to advisees
- Frequency of contact with advisees
- Appropriate referral activity
- Use of appropriate information sources
- Evidence of student success rate
- Advisee evaluations (summary data)
- Caring attitude toward advisees
- Meeting advisees in informal settings
- Intrusive behavior which builds strong relationships with advisees
- Monitoring of student progress toward academic and career goals
- Mastery of institutional regulations, policies, and procedures
- Ability to engage in developmental advising (career and life planning) versus simply course scheduling
- Attendance at and support of advisor training programs
- Perception by colleagues of nominee’s advising skills
- Participation in off-campus advising
Please submit: Nominations must contain adequate factual or descriptive material to describe the extent to which an individual meets the awards criteria. Include the following items and use objective data to support the nomination.
- A completed Nomination Form.
- A summary of the nominee’s qualifications. In this key piece, the nominator should summarize the extent to which the nominee meets award criteria, citing letters of support, data, or other materials illustrative of outstanding performance as an advisor.
- A personal statement on advising by the nominee.
- Optional items include:
- copies of nominee’s academic advising evaluations;
- representative materials developed by nominee;
- letters of support from advisees, colleagues, and administrators; and
- other pertinent information from nominator.
The completed Nomination Form and supporting materials must be submitted to the Dean no later than Friday, May 16, 2014.