Faculty and Unclassified Staff Handbook
Chapter 6 -- Business Affairs: General Regulations, Services, and Procedures

State Vehicle Use

Permissible Use of State Vehicles

State employees with a valid driver's license may drive state vehicles if the travel is for "official state business" only. Faculty, staff, students, or volunteers are considered employees of the University if they are in active status on the payroll system.

Permissible Use of University Motor Pool Vehicles

State vehicles may be requisitioned from the University Motor Pool if the travel is for “official state business” only. The transportation requisition will be signed by the Budget Unit Supervisor, verifying that the trip is “official state business” and that all drivers have a valid Kansas driver’s license. It is each department's responsibility to list the qualified drivers on the Transportation Requisition form. This form is due in the Physical Plant before the vehicle leaves University property.

Permissible Passengers in State Vehicles

Only employees of the state or persons reasonably engaged in official state business are allowed to ride in a state-owned or leased motor vehicle.

Approved by President's Cabinet (06/06/01).

Back to Chapter 6


Back to top