Specialist in Education with a major in Educational Leadership
The EdS in Education Leadership is a program designed specifically for individuals employed in an education role but outside the PreK-12 environment. Administrators, faculty and other higher education employees as well as private enterprise educators will benefit from this program. Fort Hays State University has a Memorandum of Understanding with Lamar University in Beaumont, Texas, whereby all 30 hours of the EdS degree from FHSU will transfer to Lamar toward their 60 hour EdD program. Both the Eds program at FHSU and the EdD program at Lamar are offered fully on-line.
The admissions process requires that you meet the requirements for both the FHSU Graduate School and the Educational Administration Program. Please fill out an application online and submit the additional materials listed on the Graduate School Website. You will also submit all departmental admission materials listed on this page directly to the Graduate School, where they will be forwarded on to the Department of Advanced Education Programs. The admissions requirements for the Specialist in Education program take into account your G.P.A. and your work.
A completed application to the Graduate School for programs in the Advanced Education Programs Department includes evidence of a successful Background Check.
Application Process for the Specialist in Education Program: Education Leadership
You must submit the following documents with your application:
- Two letters of reference from supervisors and/or professional peers who are familiar with your work and can assess your potential ability and skills to pursue and EdS and possibly an EdD.
- A resume or curriculum vita of education and professional experiences.
- A brief statement of professional goals related to the completion of Education Specialist Degree including how achievement of the Education Specialist helps you achieve your goals.
- Official transcripts for all college work completed, documenting conferral of a graduate degree.
A committee will review your file and forward a recommendation of approval or denial to the Dean of the Graduate School. Upon acceptance into the program, the committee chair in your area of specialization will appoint an advisor and designate a graduate committee responsible for developing your program of study. Applicants who do not enroll within one academic year after admission may be required to reapply for admission.
Program at a Glance Educational Leadership
- EDL 850 School Law or AEP 875 Seminar in Education II: Higher Education Law (3 Credit Hours)
- EDL 955 Education Facilities (3 Credit Hours)
- AEP 880 Cultural Diversity (3 Credit Hours)
- IDS 805 Global Challenges: 21st Century Promise and Peril (3 Credit Hours)
- AEP 979 Advanced Practicum: Education Leadership (3 Credit Hours)
- AEP 999 Field Study (3 Credit Hours)
- AEP 933 Research (3 Credit Hours)
Electives to be chosen from field of interest as approved by advisor (9 Credit Hours)
Total Credit Hours - 30