Transition to Teaching Program (T2T)

Congratulations to Justin Coffey, T2T graduate, for being named 2016 Kansas Teacher of the Year!

 Read the full article here.

The T2T program is designed to fill secondary teaching vacancies in school districts through an alternate route to teacher licensure. It includes the recruitment and training of mid-career professionals seeking a career change to enter the teaching profession. The T2T program uses the restricted license and has developed an on-line professional education curriculum meeting all of the Kansas Professional Education Standards.

T2T Brochure

Candidates are provided with mentors by their school district. The collaboration of school and university personnel will assist candidates in meeting State standards and provide support in completing the program.

Content Areas for Teaching
The following are the teaching content areas in FHSU's Transition to Teaching Program: Agriculture, Art (PreK-12), Biology, Business, Chemistry, Earth and Space Science, English, Family and Consumer Sciences, German (Prek-12), History, Journalism, middle level English (5-8), middle level History comprehensive (5-8), middle level Math (5-8), middle level Science (5-8), Mathematics, Music, Physical Education (PreK-12), Physics, Psychology, Spanish (PreK-12) and Technology Studies.

If you don't qualify for a restricted teaching license, you may qualify for a Career and Technical Education Certificate based on occupational knowledge and skills:
Career and Technical Education Specialized Certificate


What Induction class attendees are saying... T2TJoeLeiker(1)

"I really enjoyed the communication between other teachers who could share their experience."

"It covered a lot of topics that new teachers can't have knowledge of prior to the start of the school year."

"I was nervous when I arrived because I felt inadequate, but this class gave me enough tools that I am confident I can effectively teach."

"I think the T2T program is awesome! I appreciate the opportunity it offers and has allowed me to follow a dream that would otherwise be unmanageable."

"Helpful information on classroom management for entering the school year. Learning different ways to incorporate learning group work was very helpful."

T2T Requirements

Disclaimer: All information provided has been prepared as correctly and accurately as possible at the time of publication. Any future changes to regulations/requirements by the Kansas State Department of Education or FHSU may supersede the current requirements. The university reserves the right to make changes in the content of this information without obligation or requirement of notices to any person.

How Do I Begin?

  • Contact Mrs Sherry Spangler, T2T Administrative Assistant, 785-628-5498 or OR Mrs. Kerry Schuckman, FHSU Licensure Officer, 785-628-4542 or Send or fax (785-628-4447) copies of transcripts for an analysis to determine if you qualify for the program.
  • If eligible, locate a teaching position within your content area. You may contact local school districts directly, go to or attend the FHSU Teacher Career Fair in April.
  • Take and pass the Subject Area Assessment required for your teaching area. Must be passed prior to receiving a restricted teaching license. To register, go to
  • After a position is secured, you'll need to complete the KSDE application for a restricted teaching license ($65*) and be fingerprinted ($50*). A Plan of Study will be created outlining required courses you will take. KSDE will accept old assessments for up to 6 years after the beginning date of a new assessment as long as the old assessment was taken and passed prior to the beginning date of the new assessment.

* Current fee rates

Admission Process

The admission process is a collaborative effort with the applicant, a school district, and Fort Hays State University. Applicants must: 

Once you have been hired, contact the FHSU Licensure Office. You will be sent directions for completing the KSDE Application (Form 9) and a Plan of Study will be created for you. Once the application materials have been returned to the Licensure Office, you will need to apply to the Graduate School. A completed application to the Graduate School for programs in the Advanced Education Programs Department includes evidence of a successful Background Check.  Once accepted to the Graduate School, you can then enroll for the applicable courses on your Plan of Study.

Quick Resources

Back to top