University Activities Board Position Duties and Roles
The University Activities Board (UAB) is a programming organization that initiates many of the activities that make FHSU the focus of community life for students, faculty, staff, administrators, and invited guests. UAB offers events, educational programs, and popular and diverse entertainment for students. The intent is to complement classroom education and to educate, entertain, and enlighten with programs responsive to students wants and needs.
In the context of existing opportunities and resources, the University Activities Board develops a broad selection of programs to meet and identify activity needs through optimum utilization of campus facilities, especially the Memorial Union.
- Preside over all meetings of the UAB.
- Serve as a liaison between UAB and other campus organizations.
- Be aware of the Student Government Association and FHSU policies.
- Be knowledgeable of matters discussed in all UAB committee meetings.
- Prepare the UAB budget after consultation with the UAB chairs and advisors.
- Assist the Director of Student Activities in preparing all financial reports to UAB and SGA Allocations committee.
- Responsible for regular evaluation of UAB’s programming to ensure consistency with its mission and fiscal budget.
- Assist with the coordination of UAB retreats and workshops with advisors.
- Work closely with and consult with the Director of Student Activities and other executive officers prior to UAB meetings to develop agenda topics and discuss issues and opportunities.
- Exercise review and veto power over programs deemed outside the mission and purpose of UAB and FHSU.
Vice-President of Membership
- Responsible for the recruitment and retention of new UAB members.
- Responsible for coordinating sufficient help at each event if committee support is not sufficient.
- Maintain unity and morale within UAB with appropriate activities, awards, and recognition.
- Provide an impressive UAB presence at organization fairs and displays.
- Plan an end-of-year member appreciation event.
Responsible for advertising, distribution, communication, and overall marketing of UAB’s programs. Work closely with other members of UAB to help promote every activity. Use graphic and public relations media (newspaper ads, Union display stands, kiosks, publications, advertising programs, incentives, and website presence.) Additionally, this committee is responsible for finding new, innovative, unique, and creative ways to get people to events.
Vice-President of Programming
- Responsible to the President of UAB and shall assume the duties and responsibilities of the President upon resignation or absence.
- Responsible for overseeing all details involved in UAB sponsored programs.
- Responsible for overseeing Homecoming banner contest and King & Queen elections, insuring that the Homecoming elections follow SGA election guidelines.
- Record attendance at events.
Main Events Chair
Presents local, regional, and national entertainment including music, comedy, and variety performers. This committee’s responsibilities include all contracted performers or novelty acts. This active committee provides experience in every facet of event planning and production, and strives to present diverse types of entertainment to serve the wide variety of tastes represented at FHSU.
Mini Event Chair
Bringing excitement and activity into the Memorial Union is the goal of this committee. This committee is responsible for all non-contracted activities and events. These activities may include but are not limited to the following: Speed Dating, Tuesday Tunes at Noon, Creation Station, Grocery Bingo, card and game tournaments, sports watch parties, and midnight breakfast before finals, etc.
Responsible for providing technical support for all UAB-sponsored events, and responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of the UAB sound and lighting equipment. In addition the surrounding responsibilities for the entire production. [i.e. publicity needs, hospitality, and any special needs of the performer(s).
- Responsible for taking minutes and special correspondence at all regular and special meetings, retreats and other appropriate functions of UAB, and sending the minutes to members within 72 hours of the meeting.
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining office equipment and supplies.
- Responsible for working with the officers and advisors to plan the end-of-year UAB recognition event, and retreats or workshops.
- To attend all UAB meetings.