VPN Installation Instructions for Macintosh OS 10.5 (Leopard) or higher
Note: You must have FHSU Domain credentials (network username and password) to download and use VPN software.
- Open an Internet browser and visit: https://secure.fhsu.edu/download/vpn
- When prompted, enter your FHSU Domain credentials (i.e., the network username and password used to log onto your workstation). Click OK.
- Select macvpn.zip from the list and save it to a location you'll remember.
- Locate macvpn.zip and unzip it by double-clicking the icon. An FHSU VPN.network Connect icon will appear in the same location; double-click on it, and then click Open.
- The Network window will open and VPN (L2TP) will be selected on the left side of the window.
- In the main area of the window, place a check mark next to Show VPN status in menu bar. Click on the Advanced button.
- Place a check mark next to Send all traffic over VPN connection (all Session Options should be checked).
- Click on the DNS tab. Click the "+" below Search Domains. Type ad.fhsu.edu and press the Enter key. Click "+" again. Type fhsu.edu and press Enter again. Click OK. Click Apply.
- OPTIONAL: Click on the "wheel" icon on the left side of the Network window and select Rename Service. Add "FHSU" in front of the name, so that it reads FHSU VPN (L2TP), then click Rename. Click Apply.
- Close the Network window.
To connect to FHSU's VPN (Virtual Private Network):
- Obtain an active Internet connection.
- Whenever you wish to use the Lotus Notes Client program, CICS, or your shared folders on an FHSU server from an off-campus location, you must connect to FHSU's VPN (Virtual Private Network first.
- Click on the VPN icon located on your taskbar and click Connect.
Note: If the icon is not available, you can also click on FHSU VPN in the Network section of the System Preferences application.
- To connect to the VPN, enter your FHSU network username and password and click OK.
Note: Your VPN connection will automatically time out after 10 minutes of inactivity. Additionally, you cannot save your password for automatic connection. These are security measures and cannot be changed.
If you have problems…
Review these procedures and check to make sure you have followed all steps as Instructed. If you need further assistance, contact the CTC HelpDesk.