TigerNetFacultyStaff Wireless Configuration Instructions for Windows XP
<< Return to TigerNet On-Campus Wireless Internet Access
<< Return to TigerNetFacultyStaff Wireless Configuration Instructions
Students should not use these instructions; they should choose the TigerNetStudent network and connect using their TigerTracks login.
Faculty and staff should follow the setup instructions below, and then use their FHSU network login to connect. If your network login does not allow access, you should submit a CTC Request for Services to the Network and Servers section to request wireless access.
Please note that wireless setup instructions can vary depending on the type of wireless card installed in your system. These steps will work for many types of cards installed on Windows XP systems, but they may not match your setup. If these instructions do not work for you, or if you need assistance after attempting to configure your wireless connection, please contact the CTC HelpDesk for assistance.
In order to properly configure your connection, it is necessary to be in a location where a TigerNetFacultyStaff signal is detected.
- Open the Control Panel by clicking Start, Settings, and then Control Panel.
- On the left side of the window, click Switch to Classic View. (If you don't see this option, you're already in Classic View.)
- Double-click on Network Connections. Right-click on Wireless Network Connection, and then choose Properties.
- Select the Wireless Networks tab. If you see TigerNetFacultyStaff listed under Preferred Networks, skip to step 5. Otherwise, continue with step 4.a.
a. Click Add.
b. For the Network Name (SSID) entry, type: TigerNetFacultyStaff (Important: Type TigerNetFacultyStaff exactly as shown!)
c. Click OK.
- Under Preferred Networks, Select TigerNetFacultyStaff, and then click Properties.
- Click on the Authentication tab. Make sure both Authenticate as computer... and Authenticate as guest... are NOT selected. For EAP Type, select Protected Eap (PEAP) and then click Properties.
- Unselect Validate server certificate.
- Under Select Authentication Method, make sure Secured Password (EAP-MSCHAP v2) is selected.
- Select Enable Fast Reconnect and then click Configure.
- Unselect Automatically use my Windows logon name and password..., and then click OK four times.
- A bubble will appear in the lower right corner of your screen asking for credentials to connect to the wireless network. Click once on the bubble (do not click on the "X" - doing so will close the bubble, and you'll have to wait awhile for another one to appear).
- Type your FHSU network username and password in the dialog box that appears and then click OK. Do not type anything in the domain.
- Typically, it will take no more than 5 seconds to verify your identity to the network and obtain an IP address. However, the first time may take anywhere from 5 to 30 seconds.
- Another bubble will appear. Click on it and accept the certificate that appears in the new pop-up window.
- Completion of the previous step should have resulted in a successful configuration of your computer for access to TigerNetFacultyStaff.