Computing and Telecommunications Center
Information for New Faculty and Staff:
How to Request Computing and Telecommunication Services
Welcome to Fort Hays State University!
In order to help new employees obtain access to FHSU computing services quickly and become familiar and comfortable with our systems, we want to provide useful information to them as soon as possible. Following this step by step guide will help enhance communication and ensure a more efficient setup process. We hope these steps clarify responsibilities and make entry into FHSU life easier for new faculty and staff.
(Note: This process is also used to request computing services for new student employees.)
1. Employee Completes New Employee Data Form
After the offer of employment has been accepted, the new employee must complete the New Employee Data Form (PDF)*. This form must be completed by ALL new employees, even if they have been previously employed at FHSU or previously attended FHSU. NOTE: Instructions for initial access to FHSU computing system accounts will be sent to the new employee using the communication method designated on this form.
In addition, an initial CTC Request for Services (see Step 2) must be submitted to the CTC for each new employee before access to any FHSU systems can be provided.
*This form can be viewed using Adobe Reader. Download Adobe Reader (Free)
Back to Top
2. Department Submits Initial CTC Request for Services
After the offer of employment has been accepted, the Department Chair or Departmental Administrative Assistant should submit an initial CTC Request for Services to the Network and Servers section (using Lotus Notes) asking the CTC to set up new accounts. The initial CTC Request for Services can be submitted at any time; however, computing services will not be created until the New Employee Data Form has been received (see Step 1.)
You will need to provide the following information when completing the CTC Request for Services:
- Name (First, Middle Initial, and Last)
- Social Security Number or FHSU ID Number
- Birth Date
- Classification (Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Staff, or Student)
- Office Location (Building and Room #)
- Installation Location (if different from office)
- If the employee will be using an existing University computer, provide a description of the computer (HP laptop, Dell desktop, etc...) and the name of the person who previously used it.
- Contact Phone #
- Employee’s Current (Non-FHSU) E-mail Address
- Expected Date of Arrival
- Name of employee being replaced (if applicable). A separate request should be submitted to remove computing services and access for the previous employee (see Step 6 below).
Back to Top
3. CTC Provides Basic Computing Services
After the initial request is received, the CTC sets up the following basic computing services:
- For all new employees: Lotus Notes (e-mail and calendar), TigerTracks, and Software Center.
Lotus Notes is the official e-mail system for FHSU administrative communications. All Lotus Notes users can access their e-mail and calendar from any location via the Internet using iNotes. The format for Lotus Notes e-mail addresses is: TigerTracksUsername@fhsu.edu
The TigerTracks login provides access to the TigerCentral faculty portal, the TigerTracks student portal, on-campus computer labs, and off-campus library resources. By default, the TigerTracks account also includes a student FHSU Mail e-mail address that may be used for non-work-related messages.
Currently employed faculty and staff may make personal software purchases through FHSU’s online Software Center, which provides volume discounts on a variety of software products. View the site for eligibility, product, and price information. Faculty and staff become eligible for Software Center access after their employment information has been entered on the FHSU personnel system and they have obtained a Lotus Notes e-mail account. Please note that access for new employees must be added into the Software Center manually, so it is not done on a daily basis. It is recommended that new employees contact the CTC HelpDesk if they are unable to access the Software Center. Please provide your TigerTracks username and department when contacting the HelpDesk.
- For on-campus faculty and staff who will use their own University Computer: Network and TigerNet wireless Internet access.
- For all faculty: TigerCentral access, a Blackboard account, and a default CICS account.
Links to the Blackboard course delivery system are located on the FHSU Home page. New faculty should contact CTELT (Center for Teaching Excellence and Learning Technologies) for course development assistance. CTELT can also answer questions regarding student access to courses they are enrolled in. For an explanation of when Blackboard accounts and courses become available to students, see TigerTracks Information. For answers to frequently asked questions about Blackboard, see CTELT's Blackboard Help page or the CTC HelpDesk's Blackboard FAQ-Instructor Information page.
The default CICS account gives instructors and advisors the necessary security to view class rosters, enter grades, and use other applications in the TigerCentral faculty portal. TigerCentral can be accessed by clicking on the TigerCentral link in the upper right corner of any FHSU web page. In order to receive access to your course-related applications within TigerCentral, the department chair must provide the necessary information to the Registrar's Office (for on-campus instructors) or Virtual College (for off-campus instructors). After instructor permissions are entered, access to the appropriate applications in TigerCentral will be provided within one business day. For more information about gaining access to TigerCentral, view our TigerCentral Information page.
Because instructor and advisor applications are now available through TigerCentral, direct access to CICS is not usually needed. However, software and instructions needed to access the CICS system from off-campus using a non-University computer can be requested by contacting the CTC HelpDesk.
Back to Top
4. Communication with the New Employee
Instructions for initial access to FHSU computing system accounts will be sent to the e-mail address (or alternate communication method) provided by the employee on the New Employee Data Form (see Step 1).
Lotus Notes is the official e-mail system for FHSU administrative communications. After the new employee has been notified that their Lotus Notes account is ready, the Lotus Notes e-mail address will be used for all further correspondence. Instructions for accessing and using Lotus Notes are available on our E-Mail Information page.
Back to Top
5. Submitting Requests for Additional Services
Depending on individual needs, requests for additional services should be sent by the Departmental Administrative Assistant or by the employee to the appropriate sections within the Computing and Telecommunications Center, as listed in the Lotus Notes CTC Request for Services application.
Commonly requested services are listed below, along with links to supplementary information. If you do not know how to request a particular service, please contact the CTC HelpDesk for assistance.
Use the appropriate CTC Request for Services option under the Telecommunication Services or Infrastructure and Support Services sections to request these services. For more information, see Telecommunication Services.
- New or Changed Phone Extensions
- Message Waiting Light
- Caller ID
- New or Changed Voicemail (Modular Messaging) Accounts
- Cell Phone Services
- Conference Call Services
- KANS-A-N Calling Cards
View the FHSU PC Support Policy Statement.
Submit a CTC Request for Services to the PC Support section to request these services. For assistance submitting a request, please contact the CTC HelpDesk. In most cases, you will receive a follow-up phone call from PC Support staff to confirm the details of your request and obtain any additional information needed before work is begun.
- Order a New Mac or PC Desktop or Laptop Computer – (view Standard Software)
- Rebuild a University Computer (i.e., to reassign a desktop or tablet to a new person)
- Order or upgrade software for a University Computer
- Order or install memory, printer, or other hardware for a University Computer
- Perform maintenance on a University Computer, including data recovery or virus removal
- Retire an old University Computer (securely remove all data and send to state salvage)
Submit a CTC Request for Services to the Network and Servers section to request these services. For assistance submitting a request, please contact the CTC HelpDesk.
- Install or reconfigure Lotus Notes Client software on a University Computer – (required for accessing Workflow or other LN database applications).
- Set up special Network Security – (i.e., to access departmental servers, etc…)
Whenever FHSU faculty or staff use the Lotus Notes Client program, CICS, or their shared folders on an FHSU server from an off-campus location, they must connect to FHSU’s Virtual Private Network (VPN) first. Connecting to the VPN requires an FHSU network login and VPN software.
Submit a CTC Request for Services to the Security section (under Information Center Services) to request the following services. Please note that appropriate security approval must be provided before these requests will be fulfilled. (Note: Network security requests should be submitted to the Network and Servers section.)
- CICS Security
- TigerEnroll Security
- Add or remove users from Lotus Notes e-mail groups in the FHSU Address Book
IFAS Security is managed through the Business Office.
Media Equipment Checkout:
A variety of equipment is available to faculty and staff for checkout from the Media Equipment Checkout service.
Mediated Classroom Support:
The Departmental Administrative Assistant should have a key that can be used to access Mediated Classrooms in your department. For assistance with using equipment in a Mediated Classroom, call the CTC HelpDesk at 785-628-5276 and provide the following information: Your name, the Building and Room Number, and how long you will be at that location.
Optical Mark Recognition (mark sense) Test Scanning and Grading:
150-question answer sheets are available for pick-up at the Dispatch Window (Tomanek Hall 111). Please make sure the students use No. 2 pencils and erase cleanly. No. 2 pencils are available at the Dispatch Window. Return the score sheets and complete the test scanning request form at the Dispatch Window. Your test will be scored and the desired reports printed within 24 hours, M-F. You will be notified when the job is completed. For more information, contact Jane Rajewski at ext. 5819 or Alvin Hearne at ext. 5687.
Basic Statistical Consulting services are available upon request. For more information, contact Mike Muensch at ext. 5890.
Standard Report Programs, Mailing Labels, Ad Hoc Reports, or Data Downloads:
Use the appropriate CTC Request for Services option under the Information Center Services section to request these services. For more information about the various types of reports, labels, or data available, contact Alvin Hearne at ext. 5687 or Jane Rajewski at ext. 5819.
Training and Assistance:
Training workshops for various systems and applications are available from the CTC and CTELT (Center for Teaching Excellence and Learning Technologies). In addition, a vast collection of online self-help tutorials is available through Atomic Learning. CTELT, The Learning Commons (TLC) and the CTC HelpDesk provide individual assistance upon request. The Tiger Info Call Center also provides general University information and assistance. For more information, see the links below.
Back to Top
6. Requesting Removal of Services for Terminated Employees:
When employment has been terminated with the University, regardless of the reason, it is the Department’s responsibility to request removal of computing services for the employee at the earliest opportunity.
- These services are NOT removed upon termination unless specifically requested by the Department or individual: TigerTracks, FHSU Mail student e-mail, and Blackboard.
- Note: Inactive FHSU Mail accounts of terminated employees may be removed at any time without notice in accordance with the Student E-Mail Lifetime Use Policy. Discontinued accounts can be reinstated upon request.
- The only other service that may be continued (as a courtesy) for employees who have officially retired is Lotus Notes e-mail. Security to access Workflow or other Lotus Notes applications will be removed.
The Department Chair or Departmental Administrative Assistant should submit a CTC Request for Services to the Network and Servers section.
The following information should be provided:
- Name (First, Middle Initial, and Last)
- FHSU ID Number
- Termination Date (Final date of employment)
- Statement: “Please remove all computing services for Name.”
- If there is a need for any service(s) to remain temporarily active, specify the following:
- Name of service(s)
- Reason for temporarily retaining the service(s)
- Effective Date for Removal of the temporary service(s)
- If the employee is retiring, please specify whether the employee wishes to retain or discontinue their Lotus Notes e-mail service.
Back to Top