Administration and Finance

 Heather Hall

 Heather Hall

Heather Hall, the newest residence hall on campus, is the second phase of a project to replace the original Agnew Hall, which was razed in 2010 because of its deteriorating condition and outdated layout. Heather Hall, built and owned by Paul-Wertenberger Construction and leased to the University, opened in the fall of 2013, with beds for 112 students. 

The building is named in honor of Jack R. Heather who was employed by President Cunningham in 1950 to develop the radio curriculum and provide proper experience and training for the broadcasting industry. The program began in the Speech Department. The radio curriculum was revised in 1956 to include the medium of television. The first college television program was broadcast in 1956 over KCKT-TV in Great Bend, Kansas. This necessitated taking the performers and all program support material and personnel to Great Bend, some sixty miles away. The cooperative arrangement with KCKT-TV ended in 1961. By then eighteen programs, about six per year, had been presented to western Kansas over that station. The radio curriculum continued, and eighteen hours of credit were offered in radio and television. In 1960 the college began to present television programs over KAYS-TV in Hays. In order to teach television production and develop programs, the students and the instructor had to use KAYS-TV equipment when the station was off the air. Teaching and production were accomplished after the late movies. Jack Heather and his students would arrive about 1:00 a.m. during the week or they would work from about 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. The campus radio station, KFHS, went on the air in February, 1962. 

The radio-television operation was moved to Malloy Hall in 1965. Closed circuit television was added in 1969.  In 1977, Jack Heather was still the only instructor in this department. The television system converted to color in 1979. The Radio Television Building was specifically designed for radio and television and each area had its own studio. From its humble beginnings, the department continues to grow and evolve as more advanced technologies are developed. The department will move to its new home in the Center for Networked Learning in the summer of 2014.

 

Back to top