Martin Allen Hall
The Social Building was built in 1905 during the presidency of William S. Picken. The gymnasium area was renovated into two-story space in 1960 to provide space for faculty offices, the print shop, student publications, and News Services. At that time, it was renamed Martin Allen Hall in honor of the pioneer who first called for an agricultural college on the old military reservation. Martin Allen Hall is presently home to the Psychology department. The building was also renovated in 1998 and is comprised of 9,850 gross square feet.
Martin Allen came to Hays City in 1872 and became a land agent for the Union Pacific Railroad. He purchased land nearby and many of the lots in Hays City as well. He had a vision for an agricultural school and experiment station to serve the farmers and cattlemen in the area and set out to secure the Fort Hays military reservation for this purpose when it was abandoned as a military post. Martin Allen was elected to the state Legislature in 1880 and persisted with his idea of an agricultural school and experiment station. His dream did not come true until 1902 when federal and state legislation allowed the western branch of the Kansas State Normal School to open.