> Old Power Plant
The original power plant, constructed in 1911, was destroyed by fire in the winter of 1930. President Lewis had previously requested appropriations from the legislature for a new power plant because of the dangerous conditions of the old one, but funds for only one boiler had been appropriated. The fire changed all that, of course, and a new building was built in 1931/1932. The replacement building is now referred to as the Old Power Plant and sits at the northwest corner of the main campus, directly north of Davis Hall. This 5,029 gross square foot building is presently used for Art Department studios and storage. A modern power plant, the Akers Energy Center, was constructed south of Forsyth Library in 1968 and is in use today.
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.