> Rarick Hall
Initially called the Agricultural High School Building, and later known as the Industrial Bulding, the first Rarick Hall was constructed in 1912. This building was razed in 1978 and a 117,661 gross square foot building, also named Rarick Hall, was completed on the same site at the northeast corner of campus in 1981. The building presently includes classroom and office space, the Moss-Thorns Art Gallery, and Tiger Tots Nurtury Center. Departments housed in the building include: Advanced Education Programs, Art, Business Education, English, History, Justice Studies, Mathematics & Computer Science, Modern Languages, Philosophy, Sociology and Social Work, and Teacher Education. The offices of the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences and the Dean of the College of Education and Technology are also located in Rarick Hall.
The building honors Dr. Clarence Edmund Rarick, who served as university president during the difficult times of the Great Depression and the Dust Bowl. Dr. Rarick was appointed acting president on October 28, 1933, during the illness of President Lewis. He was appointed president on November 30, 1934 and served until his death on August 1, 1941. Professor C. E. Rarick began his association with the university when he was hired by President Lewis in 1919 to direct the rural education program. The Board of Regents named the remodeled Industrial Building in honor of former President Rarick on September 9, 1952.
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.