Constructed in 1981, Stroup Hall provides classrooms, labs and offices for the nursing department. The 25,844 gross square foot building is named in honor of Leora B. Stroup, director of the nursing program. The nursing program was established on the 50th anniversary of the founding of the college on September 1, 1952. Initially, the nursing department had the use of two rooms on campus and consisted of one faculty member (Miss Stroup), sixteen students and three courses. The department was also housed for a time on the fourth floor of Albertson Hall. Miss Stroup retired from the university in 1971, with the department then numbering ten faculty members and one hundred students.