Built in 1995, this uniquely designed structure houses the Computing and Telecommunications Center and the departments of Chemistry, Geosciences, and Physics. It is comprised of 98,867 gross square feet. The saw-tooth design allows windows for faculty offices in the front portion of the building. The building was recognized by Architectural Record, American School & University and AIA Kansas for its design excellence.
The building is named for Dr. Gerald W. Tomanek, the seventh president of the university. He served as President from 1976 to 1987. Jerry began his association with FHSU as a student, receiving a bachelor's degree in 1942 and a master's degree in 1947. After completing his doctorate at the University of Nebraska, he returned to Fort Hays to teach in the biology department. During his tenure here, he rose through the ranks, serving as a department chair, division chair, Vice President for Academic Affairs and Acting President in 1975 when President Gustad became ill.