Department of Geosciences - Careers in Geology
Geology careers allow access to a variety of exciting employment opportunities in academics, government, and business.
Employment opportunities in geology are very diverse. For example, the energy industry is at the center of the world economic, political, and social issues. The biggest challenges in this millennium will include increasing the efficiency of energy use, lowering toxic emissions globally, exploiting the planet's vast petroleum and natural gas reserves, and finding new hydrocarbon and coal deposits. Companies that hire geologists include several among the top 20 Fortune 500 U.S. corporations: Exxon-Mobil, Texaco, as well as many smaller independent and consulting firms.
Other career opportunities include:
- Mining (Phelps-Dodge, Kennecot)
- Railroads (Union Pacific Resources)
- Sand and Gravel Extraction
- Cement Production
- Chemical Synthesis
- Real Estate Development
- Foundation Engineers
- State Agencies (KS Corporation Commission, KS Department of Health and Environment, KS Department of Transportation, KS Department of Water Resources)
- Federal Agencies (United States Geological Survey)
- Secondary Education
Check out these career links from the American Geological Institute:
Check out these national organization for more information:
Check out these sites with geology job listings:
Additional related sites:
Additional career assistance is available through FHSU Career Services.