How to Reach Us

Department of Informatics
Fort Hays State University
600 Park Street
Hammond Hall
Phone: 785-628-5373
Contact Us

Informatics on Facebook Informatics on YouTube

Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  What is the cost of tuition?  Is there an out-of-state cost or difference?

A:  Tuition is set annually. The following link to the FHSU Virtual College will always provide the tuition costs for both undergraduate and graduate distance learning tuition for the next semester. Distance learning fees are typically the same for Kansans and non-Kansans. Some additional fees may apply for international students.

Q:  Are classes offered completely virtually, or do I have to visit Hays to participate in classes?

A:  All Informatics courses required for graduation in the Computer Networking and Telecommunications Concentration and the Web Development Concentration are offered completely online and do not require travel to campus.  Some major elective courses require travel and this information will be indicated in course postings.

Q:  Do classes require that I meet at a certain time?

A:  Most Informatics courses have periodic deadlines. For example, an exam may be open and available for 24 or 48 hours. Papers will be due on certain dates by certain times. However, few Informatics faculty require students to be on-line or on a phone bridge at a certain time.  Sometimes help sessions, voluntary class discussions, or even virtual teams may be scheduled for specific times.

Q:  Can I have someone look at my transcripts and tell me how much work I need to do to earn a degree from Fort Hays State University in Informatics?

A:  You may apply for admissions and submit your transcripts to the Fort Hays State University Registrar's Office. The Registrar's Office will perform a transcript analysis and if necessary will have the Department of Information Networking review major courses for transferability.

Q:  Is Fort Hays State University Accredited?

A:  The University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, 30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400 , Chicago , IL 60602-2504 , USA , 1.800.621.7411; or 312.263.0456.

The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association (NCA) is an institutional accrediting agency recognized by the United States Secretary of Education.

Next Review: 2014-2015.

Q:  How many classes can I take at a time?

A:  Most distance learning students are busy people who have a full-time job and a family. In these cases, a student can generally balance only two courses a semester and find time to do everything well. A student who is not working and whom is committing him or herself full-time to learning can take a larger load.

Q:  How many hours a week should I plan on studying for each class?

A:  Classes may vary, but to succeed a student should plan for a minimum of 9 hours a week being devoted to reading, study, completing assignments, and taking tests per 3 credit hour class.

Q:  I already have the CCNA certification. Can I test out of anything or get credit?

A:  Two requirements to enroll in the for credit option:

1. Student should show, through the use of the Certification Tracking tool that his or her CCNA is currently valid at time of registration. 

2. A students must also produce original score sheet showing his or her score (or accept minimum passing score).

The grade issued will be based on the following scale:

A 920 - 1000

B 870 - 919

C 849 - 869


1. Students that can demonstrate they hold a valid CCNA using the tracking system, but cannot produce a score sheet are assigned the minimum passing score and a letter grade in accordance with the assigned score.

2. If the two requirements are met, the student should be enrolled in Internetworking I, Internetworking II and Internetworking III and be issued the same grade for all three courses based on his or her CCNA score.

3. Scores below 849 are not accepted for credit.

Q:  I have other certifications. Can these be of use to me? 

A:  Certifications vary widely. You may email us and provide your specific information.

Q:  I have other questions. Where can I find out information? 

Please visit the Virtual College portion of the Fort Hays State University Website.

If  you have Informatics related questions, please email us or call 785.629.5373.

Back to top