Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > College of Health and Life Sciences > Department of Health and Human Performance > Intramurals > Activities > Basketball 5 On 5
KSHSAA Basketball Rules shall govern play
with the following exceptions:
1. A team shall consist of 5 men or women.
There will be a limit of 12 players per roster. Games may
not be started if a team has less than 3 legal players.
A game may be completed with less than 2 players on any
2. One basket (2 points) will be awarded
for every minute a team is late to start the game. Ten minutes
past game time will result in a forfeit.
3. A game ball will be provided by the Intramural
Office, another ball may be used if captains of both teams
4. The start of the game and each overtime
period shall be initiated by a jump ball. In subsequent
jump ball situations, the alternate possession rule will
be in effect.
5. The 3-second rule shall be in effect with
regard to free throw lane.
6. BONUS RULE: A bonus free throw (second
free throw) is awarded for each common foul (except player
control fouls) committed by a player of a team beginning
with the team's seventh personal foul. The ball is awarded
out of bounds after a common foul until the bonus rule goes
into effect. After the 10th foul the player gets two shots.
7. Dunking will be allowed during the game
only. A technical foul will be called for the following:
8. 3 pointers shall be in effect if both feet
are behind the 3-point line upon release of the basketball.
9. Correcting Errors: Officials may correct
an error if a rule is inadvertently set aside and results
In order to correct any of the above four
official's errors, such error must be recognized by an official
before the ball becomes live, following the first dead ball
after the error.
10. Additional Rule Clarifications:
11. Games shall consist of two 18-minute
halves with 5 minutes between halves. Time will be "running
time" except for time outs, the last two minutes of
the game, official referee time-outs, and technical fouls.
In case of a tie game, there will be a two
minute overtime period. The first minute the clock will
be on running time. The second minute, the clock will be
stopped for free throws, out-of-bounds, etc. or as governed
by regular basketball rules. Each team will be allowed one
time out. If at the end of the overtime, the score is still
tied, a sudden death overtime will start immediately with
a toss at the center. There will be no time outs. The first
team to accumulate three points will win. The clock will
not start in the sudden death overtime. Only one
of the five players on the court can call a time-out.
The clock shall stop when the official:
12. SCORING AND TIMING: THE RUNNING SCORE
ON THE SCORE SHEET IS THE OFFICIAL SCORE. If there is a
discrepancy on the score sheet or score board, the running
score sheet shall be official.
13. Technical fouls can be charged to any
coach, fan, or player resulting from bench and/or court
misconduct. Technical fouls will result in 2 free throws
14. If there is a technical foul on the team,
a definite warning will be given to the team captain at
the time of the foul. If there is a second technical foul
given to the same team, the game will be forfeited.
15. If team receives 5 total technicals the
team will be removed from further play of league and the
16. A team removed from the league for five
technicals will be charged forfeit fees for the remainder
of the regular season.
17. Only the team captain has the right to
talk to the officials.
18. Each technical foul will carry a label
of misconduct. The most severe are considered felonies and
include the following:
A misdemeanor is a less severe type of technical foul,
and includes the following:
A flagrant foul can result in an automatic suspension from
the league. This type of foul is at the discretion of the
19. Different levels for the punishment is based on the
severity and/or amount of incidents. The following chart
will be used to determine punishment for acts seen as inappropriate.
20. All punishment will be enforced in the next game. Individuals
will be able to complete current game, unless both technicals
are assessed in the same game.
21. "Orange Suit Probation" is a punishment following
2 felony technicals or a combination of any 3. The following
criteria must be met for the punishment:
22. Intentional Foul Rule shall be in effect with the individual
getting 2 shots and the ball out of bounds where the foul
occurred. This call should only be made if a player is fouled
going for an obvious shot. Intentional fouls are personal