Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > College of Health and Life Sciences > Department of Health and Human Performance > Intramurals > Activities > Flag Football
1. Seven players will make up a team. The
seven players will consist of four linemen and three backs.
(You must start the game if you have 5 players) Forfeit
time is 10 minutes past the scheduled start time.
2. When the ball is put in play, the offensive
team must have at least four men on the line of scrimmage
when the ball is snapped.
3. When a free kick is declared, 4 linemen
of both teams must have at least four men on the line of
scrimmage when the ball is snapped.
4. Four downs will be allowed each team to
cross the line to gain, or to score depending upon the location
of the ball on first down.
5. The kickoff will be made from the goal
line by using any kind of kick.
6. The receiving team must have 3 men in front
of the 40 yard line when the ball is kicked.
7. A kickoff that goes out-of-bounds must
be kicked over and a 5 yard penalty is assessed. If is goes
out-of-bounds a second time, the ball is awarded to the
receiving team on the kicking team's 20 yard line with first
and goal. If the ball is kicked into the end zone, it is
a touch back and is put into play by the receiving team
on their 20 yard line.
8. The kickoff is not a free ball and may
not be recovered by the kicking team.
9. The receiving team may advance the ball
even though it has touched the ground, provided the player
has not fumbled or muffed the ball when trying to catch
it. All fumbles are dead balls at the fumbled spot.
10. A free kick may be declared by the offensive
team only on the fourth down.
11. When a free kick is declared, the ball
must be kicked. See Rule 3.
12. Interception and/or loss of down are the
only two possible ways for offense to lose possession to
the defense without a score being made. All muffs and fumbles
are defined as dead balls.
13. The kicker may not be rushed on a free
14. Receiving Team may advance even though
the punt was not caught, but, if a player tries to catch
it and fumbles or muffs the ball to the ground, it is a
15. The ball must be centered on all kicks
from the center between his legs, to the spot where the
punter is going to kick the ball.
16. Any number of forward or lateral passes
may be made on any play including kicks and interceptions.
ON a passing or receiving, only one foot needs to be inbounds.
17. No player may pass either forward or laterally
18. A ball may be touched consecutively by
any number of offensive players before being caught and
still in play.
19. The ball will be put into play at the
original line of scrimmage after any pass or passes which
are thrown from behind the line of scrimmage which fall
20. The ball will be declared dead when the
ball carrier's flag is removed with either hand between
the knees and the neck by an opposing player who is on his
feet and this includes the arms and hands in any position.
21. ABSOLUTELY NO DIVING. No defensive or
offensive player shall leave his feet to make a touch on
an offensive player or a catch.
22. Aggressive touching of a ball carrier
23. Only upright body blocking with the arms
extended between the shoulder width will be allowed by the
offensive team on the line of scrimmage or in the offensive
24. All down field blocking must be upright
screen blocking with no body contact. You must not leave
your feet or dive to block at any time.
25. Defensive players cannot deliberately
run over a blocker.
26. Any hitting with a forearm is prohibited
by both offense and defense.
27. A fumbled ball is dead when it is fumbled,
and belongs to the team which fumbled it, unless it was
28. NO CLEATS OR SPIKES WILL BE ALLOWED ON
SHOES!! But, regular soccer shoes are allowed and they MUST
have soft rubber cleats.
29. No player will be allowed to participated
in bare feet.
30. High school Rules apply where not covered
in this sheet.
The seven players will consist of four linemen
and three backs. (You must start your game if you have 5
players). THE FIRST PASS OR SECOND PASS MUST BE
THROWN TO A FEMALE BEYOND THE LINE OF SCRIMMAGE AND ON THE
31. Each quarter will be 10 minutes long, with the clock
being stopped only when a team asks for a time-out, or
when time-out is taken by an official. Time-out is taken
on scores, delays, and 15yd penalties.
32. Each team is allowed two time-outs per half.
33. The last two minutes will be played by regular KSHSAA
rules in regard to time, if the score is within 7 points
34. Tied Game rules and regulations:
35. A try for point after a touchdown must
be made by passing or running.
Passing PATs are worth 1 pt.
Running PATs are worth 2 pts.
Touchdowns are worth 6 pts.
Safeties are worth 2 pts.
36. Mercy Rule: If a team leads by 45 or more
points after the completion of the first half, they will
be named the winner and the game will be called.