Mud Volleyball Tournament
Starting and Finishing
1. A roster may consist of no
more than 10 players. A team can start and finish with a
minimum of 4 players.
2. A Co-Rec team shall consist
of 6 players (3 men, 3 women). Serving order and positions
must be an alteration of male and female players.
3. Rock, paper, scissors will
determine the first set service, which alternates second
set. If a third set is necessary, a coin toss will determine
4. A team may start and finish
with four players. There must be an equal number of males
5. A team not ready to play at
the scheduled time will forfeit the first set. In ten additional
minutes they shall forfeit the match.
6. The officials will be the
scorekeepers and timers. Their decision governing time and
score will be official.
7. The Intramural Sports supervisor
and officials will not tolerate continued abusive language
or actions from coaches, participants or spectators. If
such disruptive and unsportsmanlike behavior persists, individuals
and or teams may be asked to leave the playing area.
8. The basic alignment on the
court must be in alternating position. Male - Female - Male.
9. The server must start in the
back of the pit.
10. No slinging of mud.
11. Each team must rotate its
members clockwise on the serve.
12. The ball may be contacted
with any part of the body above and including the waist.
13. The ball may not visibly
come to rest (momentarily) on a player. The ball must be
clearly hit. Scooping, lifting, pushing or carrying the
ball shall be considered holding, which is illegal.
14. In almost all cases, any
underhand hits contacted with the palm of the hand will
be considered legal as long as it is not a blatant carry
15. A player may not contact
the ball twice in succession; however, any player participating
in a block in which the ball is contacted simultaneously
with a teammate shall have the right to make the next contact.
Such contact will count as the first of three contacts allowed
to the team.
16. A team may not contact the
ball more than 3 times in attempting to send it over the
net. In the case of simultaneous block, three hits are allowed
after the block itself. When the ball is played more than
once by a team, one of these contacts must be by both sexes.
17. A player is not allowed to
spike the ball when it is on opponent's side of the net.
18. A rotation method of serving
will be utilized with new players entering at the server
- Service cannot be made with two hands.
- Service is a fault if it is not made following the
- Service must be made as soon as the referee blows the
- It is illegal to attack or break the boundary of the
net on service.
20. You may reach over the net to block a ball being returned,
but you may not block a set because it is not being returned.
21. Each team will be allowed one thirty second time-out
per set. One minute between games.
22. A set will consist of 15 points. A team must win by
2 points. The first team to win 2 out of 3 sets wins the
match. Time limit per match is 45 minutes. No time limit
during championship match. At the end of time, the team
ahead in game 3 will be the winner.
23. In the third set, rally scoring will be used.
24. Swearing on the court results in a warning for the
first offense. Any subsequent offenses will result in a
point of side-out awarded to the opposing team each offense.