Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > College of Health and Life Sciences > Department of Health and Human Performance > Intramurals > Activities > Sand Volleyball
1. A roster may consist of no more than 10
people. Four player are needed to start and to finish the
2. A team shall consist of 6 players; 3 front
court and 3 back court.
3. Rock/Paper/Scissors determines the first
set service, which alternates on the second set. Rock/Paper/Scissors
determines first service, 3rd set.
4. A team may start and finish with four players.
In Co-Rec play, there must be an equal number of males and
5. A team not ready to play at the scheduled
time will forfeit the first set. In ten additional minutes,
they shall forfeit the match.
6. Serving order and positions must be an
alteration of male and female.
7. Positions on the court must be alteration
of male and female.
8. The officials will be the scorekeepers
and timers. Their decision governing time and score will
9. Back row players may spike the ball.
10. The ball may be contacted with any part
of the body above and including the waist.
11. The ball may not visibly come to rest
(momentarily) on a player. The ball must be clearly hit.
Scooping, lifting, pushing, or carrying the ball shall be
considered holding, which is illegal.
12. A player may not contact the ball twice
in succession; however, any player participating in a block
in which the ball is contacted simultaneously with a teammate
shall have the right to make the next contact. Such contact
will count as the first of three contacts allowed to the
13. A team may not contact the ball more than
3 times in attempting to send it over the net. In the case
of a simultaneous block, 3 hits are allowed after the block
itself. In Co-Rec play, when the ball is played more than
once by a team, one of these contacts must be by a female.
14. A player may step on or their hand may
touch the center line, but not step or place their hand
completely over the center line.
15. A ball may contact several parts of the
body at the same time, but if it does not do so simultaneously,
this constitutes the fault or double hit.
16. A rotation method of serving will be utilized
with new players entering at the server position.
18. It is illegal to attack or break the boundary
of the net on service.
20. Each team will be allowed one, 30-second
timeout per set.
21. A set will consist of 15 points, a team
must win by 2 points. The first team to win 2 out of 3 sets
wins the match. Time limit per match is 45 minutes. No time
limit during championship match. At the end of time, the
team ahead on total points will be the winner. In the event
of a tie, finish the game using speed score.
22. In the 3rd set, rally scoring is used.
23. Teams are responsible for the behavior
of their coaches and spectators at all times.
24. Anyone who is ejected from a set for any
reason will be suspended from the next two games.
25. Swearing on the court results in a warning
for the first offense. Any subsequent offenses will result
in a point awarded to the opposing team each time.
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.