Give Yourself an Advantage in College...
Join a Learning Community!
What is a learning community?
A learning community is a group of 15 or 30 first-year students who
share common interests, take classes together, live on the same
floor and participate in activities together throughout the year. It is a place for students to connect with one another, become engaged in all Fort Hays State University has to offer,and belong to a supporting community. Check out all the learning community options for Fall 2017 HERE. You can also take this fun quiz to help determine which community is right for you!
Everybody's Business and 4C Innovation visit Barbados
Why should I join a learning community?
No matter how prepared you feel, adjusting to college life can be a
challenge. You may be away from home, far from friends, and adjusting to college classes that demand more time and effort than high school. By joining a learning community you have the opportunity to:
- Get to know a small group of students and faculty well.
- Have preferential room placement in the NEW Wiest Replacement Hall (temporary name) with fellow learning community members.
- Early move-in before the arrival of the rest of the freshman class.
- Ready-made study groups with other members of your community.
- Get to know faculty mentors outside the classroom.
- Enjoy a wide variety of groups, campus, and community activities.
Learning community students also have a higher average GPA than students who do not participate in a learning community. Additionally, students in learning communities also state that they feel greater satisfaction with student-faculty interaction and a greater sense of campus support.
If this sounds interesting and you still have questions, please contact us.
How do I join a learning community?
Sign-up for a learning community is connected to your Residential Life housing application through TigerTracks, which opens November 7, 2016. Spots are limited and fill quickly. Last year many of our communities had a waiting list. The priority deadline to apply is March 1, 2017.