Give Yourself an Advantage in College...
Join a Learning Community in Fall 2015
What is a learning community?
A learning community is a group of 20-30 first-year students who
share some common interests, take classes together, live on the same
floor and participate in activities together throughout the year. After
launching its first learning community in August 2010, three in 2011, six in 2012, nine in 2013, and 13 in 2014, FHSU is excited to offer 12 unique choices for learning communities in Fall 2015:
- Athletes Today, Leaders Tomorrow
- Everybody's Business
- Earth Rise!
- Global Justice
- Health Professions
- Heart & Mind: Philosophizing About the Arts
- L3: Live. Learn. Lead.
- Nightingale Power - C3
- Opportunity through Education
- Outdoor Adventure
- The Galen Initiative
2015-16 Learning Community Booklet
Everybody's Business and 4C Innovation visit Barbados
Why should I join?
No matter how prepared you feel, adjusting to college life can be a
challenge. Away from home. Away from friends. College classes that
demand more time and effort than high school. Joining a learning
community can benefit you in any number of ways:
- Get to know a small group of students and faculty really well, starting with your learning community orientation in August
- Have preferential room placement in McMindes Hall with other learning community members.
- Take several classes with your learning community each semester that focus on your community's theme.
- Make studying easier with ready-made study groups.
- Get to know faculty mentors outside the classroom
- Be motivated by other students who share your interests
- Have fun participating in a wide variety of group, campus, and community activities.
It is also important for you to know that learning community students have a much higher GPA average than students who do not participate in a learning community, and they report greater satisfaction with student-faculty interaction, campus support, and collaborative learning opportunities.
Sound interesting? Need more information? Contact us with questions.
Please note: Priority deadline to sign up for a 2015-16 learning community is March 1, 2015. Last year there was a waiting
list, so the earlier you sign up, the better.