University Archives and Special Collections
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
RM 122, Forsyth Library
Fort Hays State University
502 South Campus Drive
Hays, KS 67601
Special Collections Page
Center for Ethnic Studies Page
Kansas Heritage Project LibGuide - http://fhsuguides.fhsu.edu/kansasheritage
Fees for scanning and/or photocopying items from the Special Collections area
Standard Photocopy Fees
Paper Copies (Letter or Legal Size) - b&w - $0.05 per sheet
Paper Copies (Letter or Legal Size) - color - $0.10 per sheet
Paper Copies (11" x 17") - $0.25 per sheet
Service charge - when staff photocopies
150+ sheets - $25.00
Standard Scanning Fees
Low resolution JPEGs - $0.25 per image
High resolution digital image (JPEGs or TIFFS) - $5.00 per image
Service charge - when staff scans
150+ images - $25.00
If the images are low resolution, they can be emailed. Otherwise, the images can be transferred to a CD. If a patron brings in a flash drive, the images may be transferred to that device.
Shipping and Handling for mailing
paper copies or CDs - $5.00
News from the Special Collections Room
New microfilm of the University Leader has arrived - our microfilm holdings of the newspaper ends at May 2013.
Affiliate Library of the Family History Center
Forsyth Library is an Affiliate Library of the Family History Center located in Salt Lake City. The only items that you can order through our library are microforms.
To search for materials, go to https://familysearch.org/
To place an order, go to the following: https://familysearch.org/films/ You will need to set up an account if you have not already done so. Sign in and follow the directions for ordering the microform you have chosen.
You will be notified by email when your order has arrived. Please contact the Special Collections librarian to set up a time to come in to view the materials. E-Mail: email@example.com Phone: 785-628-5901
We also collaborate with several outside organizations.
Stafford County Historical Society, Stafford, Kansas
Smoky Hill Trail Association
- The SmHTA has its archives located in the Special Collections Room. Items are being accepted to add to the archives.
- Smoky Hill Trail Bibliography - Compiled by Patty Nicholas, Forsyth Library, in 2012 using sources from the Smoky Hill Trail Association and from "Literature and Lore of the Smoky Hill Trail" by Michael Olsen, as first published in "Overland Despatch: Smoky Hill Trail Association Quarterly."
- Smoky Hill Trail Association Archive - Finding Aid
Collyer Community Alliance Association, Collyer, Kansas
- The Association scanned images from the town of Collyer, and the Special Collections area created an online digital collection featuring those images.
- Collyer Collection - online access to the images
Harvey County Historical Society, Newton, Kansas