Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Albert
Albert | Claflin | Dundee | Ellinwood | Galatia | Great Bend | Heizer | Hoisington | Olmitz | Pawnee Rock
Albert was founded in 1886 after the Walnut Valley & Colorado Railroad laid tracks from Great Bend to Scott City. (NOTE: The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad took over this line a short time later.)
The town site was platted on June 19, 1886, but on July 1, 1889, a petition was filed to vacate the unused portions of the original plat. The town was reduced to the size it is presently. A post office was established at Albert on August 22, 1887.
Named after Albert Kraisinger, a native of Bohemia in the Austria/Hungarian Empire, the Albert town site became home to settlers from Austria, Prussia and Wurttenberg. Most of them were farmers, but other were laborers of other types such as millers, carpenters and shoe makers.
Sunshine in the Valley: Albert, Kansas, 1886-1986. Albert, KS: Albert Centennial Committee, 1986.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.