Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Almena
Almena | Calvert | Clayton | Dellvale | Densmore | Devises | Dunkard Colony | Edmund | Lenora | Leota | New Almelo | Norton | Oronoque | Rockwell City
The town site was established in 1877 south of Prairie Dog Creek, and it was moved in 1885 after the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Railroad built its tracks on the north side of the Prairie Dog. The Lincoln Land Company platted the new town on June 15, 1885 and filed the plat on July 7, 1885.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Bowers, D. N. Seventy Years in Norton County, Kansas, 1872-1942. The Norton County Champion, Norton, Kansas, 1942.Nicholson, John H. A History of Norton County, Kansas. Masters Thesis, Colorado State College of Education, 1941.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Change To University Holiday Break
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.