Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Altamota
Altamota | Amy | California | Dighton | Healy | Pendennis | Shields | Waterloo
The county's first post office founded on September 10, 1877, Altamota was most likely named for the bluffs of white limestone along Walnut Creek. White Rock is the Indian name for Altamota.
By 1880, there was a general store, a drugstore and saloon, and a blacksmith. The post office was moved to school land northeast of the original town site in 1885. A new town was platted and was named Altamota, and it is one of the surviving towns in the county.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"A Historical Record of Lane County, Founded June 3, 1886." Dighton, KS: Lane County Historical Society, 1961.
Stanley, Ellen May. "Early Lane County History: 12,000 B.C.-A.D. 1884". Newton, KS: Mennonite Press, 1993.
Stanley, Ellen May. "Early Lane County Development". Newton, KS: Mennonite Press, 1999.
Spring Hours:Sun: 1:00 pm - 2:00 am Mon-Thurs: 7:30 am - 2:00 amFriday: 7:30 am - 7:00 pmSat: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
For current month(s) and detailed information, please select desired month under announcements (below).Phone: 785.628.4434Fax: 785.628.4096Contacts DirectoryMailing Address: Forsyth Library 600 Park Street Hays, KS 67601Physical Address: 502 South Campus Drive Hays, KS 67601-4099
April 2014 Calendar