Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Amy
Altamota | Amy | California | Dighton | Healy | Pendennis | Shields | Waterloo
Originally named Ellen after a homesteader's wife, Ellen Patterson, the town site was founded along the Santa Fe rail line in 1887. Platted on July 22, 1887, it did not have much of anything through 1905; only a house and a sign with the name on a post.
Later in 1905, an elevator run by the Moses Brothers was opened, and other businesses started coming in. A post office was established in 1906, and the name had to be changed because there was another post office with the name of Ellen in Kansas. The Post Office chose Amy from a list that was submitted to them. Amy was the name of a daughter of one of the residents, J. R. Bruner.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"A Historical Record of Lane County, Founded June 3, 1886." Dighton, KS: Lane County Historical Society, 1961.
Stanley, Ellen May. "Early Lane County History: 12,000 B.C.-A.D. 1884". Newton, KS: Mennonite Press, 1993.
Stanley, Ellen May. "Early Lane County Development". Newton, KS: Mennonite Press, 1999.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.