Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Antonino
Antonino | Catharine | Czech Colony | Ellis | Emmeram | Hartsook/Herzog | Hays | Munjor | Pfeifer | Schoenchen | Turkville | Victoria | Vincent | Walker | Yocemento
Volga GermansFort HaysOther Colonies
Antonino was established in 1904 after parishioners of St. Francis Church in Munjor requested a new parish due to the distance from their homes to Munjor. The new village was nine miles west of Munjor. Its residents wanted to name it St. Anthony, but the post office refused that name because of a town in Harper County named Anthony. Antonino was chosen after a village that some of the pioneers had lived in while in Brazil. St. Anthony was the church's patron saint, but the National Archives records clearly show that "Saint Antonino" was the name applied for in 1905. However, because of postal regulations in place at that time, the post office took the "Saint" off the name.
The post office opened on May 17, 1905 and was closed on January 9, 1981.
The church was built in 1904-1905. Our Lady Help of Christians Catholic Church was a frame building, then in 1951-1952, a brick building was built to replace the old frame building. A stone school house was built in 1939.
“At Home in Ellis County, Kansas 1867-1992.” Hays, KS: Ellis County Historical Society, 1991.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.