Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Ashland
Ashland | Englewood | Lexington | Sitka
The Ashland Town Company was organized on October 6, 1884 in Winfield, Kansas; the seven directors purchased land from Charles Roby which was located in the Bear Creek valley where the Dodge-Supply Trail crossed the Sun City-Meade Trail. It was two miles south of a community called Clark City that had been founded the previous June.
The residents of Clark City struck a deal with the Ashland Town Company which gave three to five residence lots to each person who had land adjoining Ashland. By 1885, Ashland had 2,042 people living in its town.
The ethnicity of its settlers is not known.
"Ashland, Kansas: The Story of its First 100 Years". <Ashland, KS: Ashland History Book Committee, 1984>.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
June 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.