Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Assaria
Assaria | Falun | Salemsborg | Salina
Settlers from Chicago bought a section of land for $3.50 an acre where Assaria now is. They first lived in a small, unheated wooden shed and brought water from a brook. Originally they belonged to the Salemsborg congregation, but in 1875 they organized their Assaria "God will help" congregation. This name became the name of the town. The first church building was built in 1877. The town site was laid in 1879. The Salina to Lindsborg Southern RR was constructed through Assaria. The town was incorporated and organized as a city of 3rd class in 1886.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Information from Ken Carman
Spring Hours:Sun: 1:00 pm - 2:00 am Mon-Thurs: 7:30 am - 2:00 amFriday: 7:30 am - 7:00 pmSat: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
For current month(s) and detailed information, please select desired month under announcements (below).Phone: 785.628.4434Fax: 785.628.4096Contacts DirectoryMailing Address: Forsyth Library 600 Park Street Hays, KS 67601Physical Address: 502 South Campus Drive Hays, KS 67601-4099
April 2014 Calendar