Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Banner
Banner | Bosna | Buckeye | Collyer | Coyote | Cyrus | Gibson | Mendota | Ogallah | Park's Fort | Schreader | Smytheville | Stockrange | Trego | Trego Center | Trego Station | Tregola | Valley | Voda | WaKeeney | Willcox
Once a booming town with a school, creamery, blacksmith shop, and other businesses, Banner was founded primarily by Civil War veterans in the late 1870s. Among its first settlers was A. W. Purinton who ran both a store and a post office next to his home (see picture below). Established in 1879, the post office closed in 1918. Today, little remains of the settlement.The ethnicity of its settlers remains unknown.
“The Banner Community.” Broadsheet at the Trego County Historical Society.Sources
“The Banner Community.” Broadsheet at the Trego County Historical Society. WaKeeney, KS.Harvey, Ethel M. “Postal Service in Collyer.” Chap. in History of Collyer, Kansas. n.p. n.d.Kroeger, Nadine. Interview by author. Trego County Historical Society. WaKeeney, KS. 5 August 2002.Shearer, Ruth. “Ghost Towns in Trego County.” Chap. in Local History as Presented to the Trego County Historical Society. 2d ed. n.p. 1974.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Daylight Saving Time
March 2014 Calendar
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.