Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Basil
/ Gage | Belmont | Cleveland | Cunningham | Kingman | Murdock | Nashville | Norwich | Penalosa | Rago | Spivey | Waterloo |
Willowdale | Zenda
Founded on February 1, 1892, as a post office, Gage later became the location of a station on the Hutchinson, Oklahoma, and Gulf Railroad line. When the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe took over this line on January 1, 1901, they changed the name to Basil. In 1937, the Basil and Cleveland mail routes were combined and the Basil post office was closed.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"Kingman County History: Kingman County, Kansas and Its People." Kingman, KS: Kingman County Historical Society, 1984.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.