Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Bedford
| Hudson | St. John
West Cooper Township was the site of the town of Bedford, which tried to become the county seat of Stafford County. The town was called Center when it was founded in 1879, but the name was changed in 1881 to Bedford. At one time, the town had a population of 60 people, but now all that remains is the cemetery. Claus Feldhut, a German immigrant, owned the land and wanted to use it for the town. He sold lots, but when the town was abandoned, he gave the people their money back. Bedford was vacated in 1899.
History Book Committee. Stafford County, Kansas, 1870-1990. Stafford, KS: Stafford County Historical and Genealogical Society, 1990.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.