Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Bellefont
Amish Village | Bellefont | Bloom | Bucklin | Dodge City | Ford | Howell | Kingsdown | Lasker | Mexican Village | Spearville
J. A. Cline and George M. Hoover were owners of the land on which Bellefont was platted in 1885. Hoover sold his platted land 3 years later to William H. Moffitt who added another 12 blocks. The railroad did not build a junction there as was anticipated, so the hope of the founders for Bellefont to become a thriving community fell through. There was a general store, a grocery store, and a depot in the early years of the town's existence.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Ford County Historical Society. Dodge City and Ford County, Kansas 1870-1920: Pioneer Histories and Stories.Dodge City, KS, 1996.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
March 2014 Calendar
Spring Forward Sunday, Mar. 9th
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.