Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Beloit
Asherville | Beloit | Blue Hill | Cawker City | Glen Elder | Hunter | Mennonite Community | Simpson | Tipton | Victor
The land of Aaron A. Bell was the site picked for a town in 1866. He deeded part of his property to Timothy Hersey, and the two men began to establish the new town. The settlement was named Willow Springs after the springs along the north bank of the Solomon River. However, there was a post office in Douglas County, established in 1861, that already had the name of Willow Springs. Mr. Hersey's hometown in Wisconsin was Beloit, so he chose that name for the new town. The town site's plot was filed with the register of deeds on March 26, 1872, and the city was organized as a city of third class that same year.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Mitchell County Elementary Students. Mitchell County Historical Essays, 1962-1976. N.D.
Baughman, Robert W. (1961). Kansas Post Offices, May 29, 1828-August 3, 1961 . Retrieved December 1, 2005 from http://www.kshs.org/genealogists/places/postoffices.htm
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.