Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Belpre
Belpre | Kinsley | Lewis | Nettleton | Offerle | Wendell
The town site was platted on June 2, 1886, by the Arkansas Valley Town and Land Company. It was located on a homestead that was filed by Henry McKibben in 1879. Belpre was named after the McKibben's former home in Ohio, and it means beautiful prairie. The post office was established in 1879.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Richardson, Myrtle H. "Oft' Told Tales: A History of Edwards County, Kansas, to 1900". Lewis, KS: The Lewis Press, 1976.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Daylight Saving Time
March 2014 Calendar
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.