Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Belvidere
Belvidere | Crescent Community | Greensburg | Haviland | Mullinville | Wellsford
Early day settlers and ranchers Watson and Fullington founded the town which was named "Belvedere" by their wives after an Italian word that meant beautiful view. Platted on April 7, 1888 by C. P. and J. B. Fullington, the town had a population of 45 in 1891, and by 1900 it had grown to 75 people.
The Santa Fe Railroad laid tracks through Belvidere on October 1, 1887.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"A History of Kiowa County 1880-1980: A Chronicle of Kiowa County written by Kith, Kin and Kind Friends". Lubbock, TX: Taylor Publishing Co., 1979.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.