Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Bird City
Bird City | Jaqua | St. Francis
Founded by the Northwest Town Site Company in 1885, Bird City was named for Benjamin Bird, president of the company. By 1886, the town's population was over 1500. A courthouse was built when the town was named the temporary county seat. By July 8, 1888, the railroad had been built to Bird City. On February 26, 1889, St. Francis was named the county seat after a bitter fight between Bird City and St. Francis for the honor. In the early 1890's many settlers left because of drouth (drought) and grasshoppers. Still, there were settlers that remained through the hardships and helped the town to survive.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Cheyenne County Historical Society, ed. "The History of Cheyenne County, Kansas" Published by the Curtis Media Corporation, 1987.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.