Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Bucklin
Amish Village | Bellefont | Bloom | Bucklin | Dodge City | Ford | Howell | Kingsdown | Lasker | Mexican Village | Spearville
Founded by the Rock Island Railroad on May 10, 1887, as a division point on the rail line, Bucklin was named after a Rock Island civil engineer. The Colorado, Kansas and Nebraska Railroad made its first trip to Bucklin by October 17, 1887, and the town became connected to Dodge City via rail lines in 1888.
In the summer of 1887, Bucklin experienced a boom with 31 buildings standing that housed 2 grocery stores, 2 general merchandise stores, a hardware store, a blacksmith, and a lumber yard, along with other businesses. A hotel and a depot were in business by that fall.
Then a drought began in the 1890's and the enterprising town lost businesses and people. By 1905, there were new businesses in the town once again.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Ford County Historical Society. Dodge City and Ford County, Kansas 1870-1920: Pioneer Histories and Stories.Dodge City, KS, 1996.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
Friday: Makerspace Open House
March 2014 Calendar
Women's History Month Display
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.