Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Burdett
| Garfield | Larned | Rozel
Dr. Gallatin Brown founded the town of Browns Grove in 1876. Located 23 miles west of Larned, Browns Grove became a prosperous settlement which was the home of the first flour mill built west of Hutchinson in 1879.
The Santa Fe Railroad laid tracks one half mile south of Browns Grove in 1886, so the businesses moved closer to the tracks and railroad officials renamed the town site Burdett in honor of Robert Jones Burdette who was a writer and humorist.
By 1924, Burdett had a good number of businesses including 2 grocery stores, 3 drugstores, a bank and 2 hotels.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
"Panorama of Progress: Pawnee County, 1872-1972". Supplement to The Tiller & Toiler. Larned, KS: The Tiller & Toiler, 1972.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.