Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Calvert
Almena | Calvert | Clayton | Dellvale | Densmore | Devises | Dunkard Colony | Edmund | Lenora | Leota | New Almelo | Norton | Oronoque | Rockwell City
Settled by the Bieber family in 1875 and later platted by the Kansas Town and Land Company on January 16, 1888, the town site was originally known as Neighborville. The name was changed to Set, then to Calvert. It was on both the Rock Island Railroad and the Burlington Railroad lines, which was productive in hauling the silica that was mined just south of the town.
The ethnicity of its settlers is not known.
Bowers, D. N. Seventy Years in Norton County, Kansas, 1872-1942. The Norton County Champion, Norton, Kansas, 1942.Nicholson, John H. A History of Norton County, Kansas. Masters Thesis, Colorado State College of Education, 1941.
Spring Hours:Sun: 1:00 pm - 2:00 am Mon-Thurs: 7:30 am - 2:00 amFriday: 7:30 am - 7:00 pmSat: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
For current month(s) and detailed information, please select desired month under announcements (below).Phone: 785.628.4434Fax: 785.628.4096Contacts DirectoryMailing Address: Forsyth Library 600 Park Street Hays, KS 67601Physical Address: 502 South Campus Drive Hays, KS 67601-4099
April 2014 Calendar