Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Campus
Alanthus | Buffalo Park | Campus | Gove | Grainfield | Grinnell | Jerome | Orion | Pyramid | Quinter | Teller | Hackberry Community - Plum Creek Community - Swedish Community
Originally, Campus was a Union Pacific Railroad stop. Campus was first called "Elizabeth". The Campus Post Office was established in 1905. The town was platted in 1906.
In its early years, Campus had 2 general stores, a lumber yard, a blacksmith shop, a farm implement store, a church, a schoolhouse, a depot, a post office, an elevator, a stockyard and 5 residences. The schoolhouse, District No. 57, was organized in 1911.
A church was built in 1906 and organized in 1907 as an English Evangelical Lutheran Church. It began declining with the community around 1910.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Gove County Historical MuseumThey used the following sources in writing this information.
"History and Heritage of Gove County". Gove County Historical Museum.
Harrington, W. P. "History of Gove County, Kansas".
Extended Hours starting Sunday, March 23 until the end of the semester:Sun: 1:00 pm - 2:00 am Mon-Thurs: 7:30 am - 2:00 amFriday: 7:30 am - 7:00 pmSat: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
For current month(s) and detailed information, please select desired month under announcements (below).Phone: 785.628.4434Fax: 785.628.4096Contacts DirectoryMailing Address: Forsyth Library 600 Park Street Hays, KS 67601Physical Address: 502 South Campus Drive Hays, KS 67601-4099
April 2014 Calendar