Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Cedarville
Athol | Bellaire | Cedarville | Claudell | Gaylord | Germantown | Harlan | Kensington | Lebanon | Old Salem | Reamsville | Smith Center | Home on the Range
A group of settlers arrived in the western part of the county in the fall of 1870, and on October 25 founded the town of Cedarville where the Cedar Creek flowed into the Solomon River. The Town Company of Cedarville filed papers on January 28, 1871. A post office was established on July 3. Cedarville was the first county seat, but lost the title to Smith Center in 1872.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Pletcher, Vera Edith Crosby. "A History of Smith County, Kansas to 1960". Masters thesis, Kansas State University, 1960.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.