Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Claflin
Albert | Claflin | Dundee | Ellinwood | Galatia | Great Bend | Heizer | Hoisington | Olmitz | Pawnee Rock
People began settling in the area south of the present site of Claflin in 1872. Many of these settlers were from the northern states, Movaria and Germany. By 1886, the Kansas and Colorado Railroad (later became the Missouri Pacific) had laid tracks through the area and the depot built south of the tracks was named Giles City for the owner of the land next to it. The main line was completed on February 21, 1887.
The Claflin Town Company was formed in 1887 with Stelle Giles as president. They wanted to buy the land south of the tracks, but A. Giles would not sell it, so the group bought 160 acres north of the tracks and changed the name to Claflin in March 1887. The name came from the maiden name of the wife of Judge O. P. Hamilton, one of the members of the town company.
George Norris built the first building in the new town; he put in a furniture and hardware store. A dry goods and grocery store was opened by Joe Cannon.
Father Warren Emmerich established a school in 1888, which was known as the "new German school" because many of the classes were conducted in German.
The first church in Claflin was the Christian Church, dedicated in March 1892, followed by the Methodist Church in June 1893. The Lutherans were the earliest religious organization in the area, but their church was not built until 1897.
Its settlers were most likely of German ancestry.
Harrington, Marge, Compiler. Barton County: Golden Heartland of Kansas. Great Bend: Great Bend Tribune, 1996.
Huff, Wayne. Centennial History of Claflin, Kansas. Newton, KS: Mennonite Press, 1987.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.