Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Clark County
Ashland | Englewood | Lexington | Sitka
Prentis, Noble Lovely. "History of Kansas". Winfield, KS: E. P. Greer, 1899.
Named Clarke County after Captain Charles F. Clarke of the 6th Kansas Cavalry, the boundaries were created by an act of the Kansas Legislature in February of 1867. In 1873, the county was expanded to include a 6 mile strip off the south side of Ford County. In 1883, the county was added for Ford County by the Kansas Legislature, so that that large cattle interests could be taxed by Ford County. Due to objections from the cattlemen and the settlers, the legislature reestablished Clark County (note spelling of name was changed) on March 7, 1885. A census of the population of the area was taken shortly thereafter, and on May 5, 1885, Clark County was officially organized.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Vallentine, John Franklin, Ph.D. "Lexington, 1884-1984: The History of a Kansas Community". Ashland, KS: Lexington Centennial Committee, 1984.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.