Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Cleveland
/ Gage | Belmont | Cleveland | Cunningham | Kingman | Murdock | Nashville | Norwich | Penalosa | Rago | Spivey | Waterloo |
Willowdale | Zenda
The town company laid out the site for Cleveland in October 1879 along the Kingman - Medicine Stage Line. A post office opened on January 2, 1880, and by 1881, Cleveland petitioned for the county seat. The results of an election held on November 7 determined that Cleveland's attempt to be the county seat failed. Kingman continued its status as the county seat.
The Hutchinson, Oklahoma and Gulf Railroad arrived in Cleveland in 1890. Because there was another Cleveland on the railroad line (in Oklahoma), the station was named Carvel. The town peaked in the early 1900's, and today there are fewer than 25 residents.
The ethnicity of its settlers is not known.
"Kingman County History: Kingman County, Kansas and Its People." Kingman, KS: Kingman County Historical Society, 1984.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.