Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Coldwater
Avilla | Coldwater | Gilead
Coldwater was established in 1884. A group of men from Harper County set out to establish a county seat centrally located in Comanche County. When they found the perfect destination they came in contact with a man named Mr. C. D. Bickford who was already figuring on setting up his own township in this location. They agreed to let him name the town if he would give up his own township project. Being from Coldwater, Michigan, he decided upon the name of Coldwater.
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Main Street in Coldwater in the 1920's
Coldwater Bakery in 1925 Helton Store
Sinclair Gas Station
Life As It Should Be: Comanche County, Kansas. Coldwater: Comanche County Economic Development Foundation, 1999.
Comanche County Historical Society, ed. Comanche County History. Dallas: Taylor Publishing, 1981.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.