Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Colokan
Colokan | Greeley Center | Hector | Horace | Reid | Tribune | Homesteads of Greeley County
In 1886 Civil War veterans from Illinois came and settled in Greeley County, and founded a soldiers' colony close to the Kansas-Colorado border. In 1887 the soldiers' colony merged with the Presbyterian colony, and formed the Colokan Town Company. The town name Colokan was a combination of COLOrado and KANsas, since the town was only a half mile from the Colorado state line.
The Denver, Memphis, & Atlantic Railroad went through Colokan and a Colorado town called Towner. Colokan eventually lost the railroad depot in 1889 to Towner, and thus Colokan began to decline. By 1897 the town of Colokan had been completely vacated, and little remains today of what once was called "The Star of Western Kansas."
The ethnicity of its settlers is unknown.
Fitzgerald, Daniel. Ghost Towns of Kansas: A Traveler's Guide. Lawrence: The University Press of Kansas, 1988.
Sorensen, Conner. Ghost Towns of Greeley County Kansas. Tribune: Greeley County Republican, 1967.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.