Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Coyote
Fort | Schreader | Smytheville
| Stockrange | Trego
| Trego Center | Trego Station | Tregola
| Voda |
Coyote had its beginnings in 1866 when it served as a terminus for the Union Pacific Railroad. Stopped by the 1867-1868 winter, railroad workers lived in dugouts until the line continued onto Denver. Daily stages traveled from Coyote to Denver and freight was hauled by the wagon loads to the Colorado and New Mexico mining towns.Arriving in Coyote in 1870, Ben O. Richards oversaw the section house before it was moved to Collyer. Ben and his wife also boarded railroad workers for a weekly rate of $2.50.A son of Russian Czar Alexander II, Grand Duke Alexis and his hunting expedition escorts, Buffalo Bill Cody, General Phil Sheridan, General George Custer, and Spotted Tail, made Coyote their headquarters. The expedition occurred in 1872.Although its exact location is unknown, it was west of Collyer and west of WaKeeney 12 ½ miles.The ethnicity of its settlers remains unknown.
Beason, Mildred Cass. “Pioneer Reminiscences of Emery Cass.” Chap in. Local History as Presented to the Trego County Historical Society. 4th ed. n.p. 1976.
Harvey, Ethel M. “Facts Concerning Collyer, Trego County, Kansas.” Chap. in History of Collyer, Kansas. n.p. n.d.
Purinton, Mrs. Ray. “History of Collyer, Kansas.” Chap. in Local History as Presented to the Trego County Historical Society. n.p. 1973.
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
May 2013 Calendar
Copyright © 2009-2012 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.