Fort Hays State University > About FHSU > Academic Divisions > Forsyth Library > Kansas Heritage > Danville
| Attica | Bluff City | Crystal
Springs | Danville | Freeport | Harper | Runnymede | Waldron
Originally named Coleville in honor of Mrs. E. J. Cole who had laid out the town in 1880, the name of Danville was given to the Coleville post office on January 25, 1882. A group of people from Danville, Ohio, had settled in the area in 1880. They were of French heritage and practiced the Roman Catholic faith. When the town company purchased twelve acres from Mrs. Cole, they changed the name to Danville in honor of their former home.
Sanders, Gwendoline and Paul. "The Harper County Story". North Newton, Kansas: The Mennonite Press, 1968
Find Articles & Databases
Find Other Resources
Find Research Guides by Subject
Search Digital Collections
Search Government Documents
Our Services to You
December 2013 Calendar
Enhanced And Personalized Interlibrary Loan Services
Food For Fines
Late Nights At The Library & Pack The Library
Copyright © 2009-2013 Fort Hays State University • 600 Park Street, Hays, Kansas 67601–4099 • 785–628–FHSU (3478) Contact Webmaster with any questions or comments concerning this Web site.